The NBA legend Tells Court He ‘Wasn’t Afraid’ of the Racing Body in Antitrust Trial

The basketball icon, introducing himself formally in a federal courtroom on Friday, admitted that his drive to win and status as a newcomer emboldened his push for 23XI Racing to “challenge” Nascar over perceived violations of competition laws.

Team Investment and a Competitive Drive

Jordan shared financial and corporate details of his racing venture, revealing he put in $40m of his personal wealth into the Cup Series operation launched with business partner Curtis Polk and longtime driver Denny Hamlin.

“Someone had to step forward,” Jordan said in the Charlotte courtroom. “As a newcomer, I had no fear. I believed I could take on Nascar in its entirety. I felt as far as the sport it needed to be looked at from a different view.”

Central Issue: Franchise System and Renewal Demands

At issue is the expiration of a 2016 deal where Nascar provided each team a “charter”. The concept is similar to other major leagues with independent franchises, like the Charlotte Hornets or the Carolina Panthers. This deal was set to expire in 2024 when Nascar demanded charter membership renewals.

Jordan was on the witness stand for an hour and exited the courthouse to pandemonium, with fans and media vying for a view or a photo of the sports legend.

Spearheading the Fight

23XI Racing is leading the full-court press along with another racing team for Nascar to overhaul a business model Jordan contended is unlawful to maintain excessive control.

For Jordan and and a fellow team representative, who preceded Jordan, are events from last September. Gibbs described a hectic and tense period where the racing circuit told teams they must sign a charter agreement extension. The document spanned 112 pages detailing team compensation and a guaranteed entry in every race.

Choosing Litigation

Jordan explained that 23XI and Front Row Motorsports decided their only feasible option was to decline to sign that extensive document and take the issue to court. All other teams agreed to the terms.

The team owners approached Nascar about possible changes or extension options. Nascar refused to engage, according to his testimony.

The Bottom Line: Victory

Ultimately, the resistance against what he saw as a unsustainable system was mostly about the familiar goal for Jordan: Success.

“Denny convinced me adding a third car improved our chances to win,” he said, sharing that he purchased another franchise last year for $28m amid the legal dispute. “So I dove in.”

Account from the Gibbs Family

Gibbs described her push for indefinite franchises, submitted in a formal letter to Nascar. She said the pressure of the contract signing demand was problematic.

She said, Joe Gibbs first attempted to call and talk Nascar out of forcing signatures, but Nascar’s leader declined the request.

“Don’t do this to us,” Heather Gibbs said Joe Gibbs told Nascar’s leadership. The response was, “If I wake up and I have 20 charters, I have 20. If I have 30, that’s the number.”
Johnny Castillo
Johnny Castillo

A passionate automotive historian and restoration expert with over 15 years of experience in preserving classic cars.